Thursday 11 November 2010

Two days.

So much for a design a day, cos this has taken two! It's still to be finished but while Illustrator has a little rest I'm blogging!
So this is the final design from paper, the rest are to be formulated on the computer, which I hope won't take too long!
This is the re make of the panel design from last term that needed some tweaking to make it sit right, I hope this one works because it's so time consuming to sort out I may not be tempted to adapt it.
Here's laying it out.
When I was in the middle of doing this design I noticed two interesting things...
1 - My mum asked me what is was like to be working using a graphics tablet and operating the screen with a pen which isn't the same immediate and analogue way of pen and paper. I said I wasn't too bothered, it was easy and I was used to it but I couldn't do some nice pretty sketching I can do with pen and paper. The next morning I tried working with my mouse instead but found it so slow and clunky, my right hand was tied to the mouse instead of hopping over my keyboard, clicking on the Illustrator shortcuts- my left hand was doing this and was definitely out of it's depth, I had to think about what buttons to press and operate a mouse, moving things on screen. 
So I got my tablet out again and it was so easy! So quick, fluid! 
By swapping how I did things I realised just how trained my hands are without me consciously knowing.

2 - Whilst working very zoomed in on a certain area my hand slipped and I moved the screen to view an desolate part of the working area.
I zoomed out to find my work.
Moved my work into centre view and zoomed back in but I was quite lost.
This page of lines wasn't a map but a deep cave that I had been hidden in and couldn't find my way back! 

 A day later all the cut and engraves are filled in and tonight I've been testing it to see if it is ok...

 ...Nope it's not, it's flawed

 Just to show you what I do here, I select one of the red lines then head to Select > Same > Stroke Colour.

 Then I delete them and make the selection ok for live paint and fill the design.

 If you're keeping a beady eye, then you'll notice that I've rectified the original problem but second time round, I spotted new ones!

Third time round I spot MORE! They are been sorted now and I'm fairly sure it's done then.

No comments: