Tuesday 21 September 2010

Summer Break

Over the summer I've definitely had a break where I have done nothing! But I have also started to work on what I hope will be more of a showpiece to the collection that will, for the time being, become what I will show at the interim show coming up quickly!

So I went to uni to use one of the model forms to measure out what sizes I have to play with. I know I want to try and use squares (they gave me the basic shape) so I sat and cut hundreds of squares in different sizes ready for uni and I also bought some shoulder pads that would form the base of one of the ideas.

I used the squares to see how it would all lie on the form. I intend for the squares in the long run to be in acrylic so I know that it won't be as flexible further down the line. I cut three different sizes but felt pretty immediately as though the two largest squares worked the best- 6 and 8cm.
Next up I pinned on the shoulder pads the other way round and attached the squares. I had tried laying them out at home but it came together brilliantly first try and is what I've kept with so far.


So with that I could go home and draw out patterns knowing how many squares I needed to cover a torso, over the shoulders, under the arms etc (I never did fashion cutting, this is all beginners behaviour- any advice from fashion studentes appreciated!)
Then I could start to set out designs for the laser cutter.

No comments: